Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

ACOL response to opening 1 of a suit

edited November 2013 in All Things Bridge

Every ACOL book I have suggests a response of 1NT with 6-9
points and 2 of a suit with 10-15 points.  
I recently played with a group who have been taught to go to a two level
response with 8-15 points i.e. as little as 8 points. 

Questions: 

1.  Is this a good bid and if so what is the maths behind it?

2.  Is this a bid which is taught, promoted and explained in some ACOL Bridge publication?

3.  Is this 'standard' ACOL or a modification of standard ACOL and if so does it need alerting?

TIA

Comments

• edited 9:50PM
    The trend has been for the minimum standard of a Two Over One bid to increase. When I first started learning the game 30 years ago it was acceptable respond in a new suit at the two level with eight points. Most experts would now expect a higher point count.

The English Bridge Union's Standard Modern Acol requires a minimum nine points. Many experts would recommend a minimum ten points as you suggest. My own preference is a minimum 10 points, but with a little flexibility to bid a good 5-card suit with nine points.

The increase in this requirement for a Two Over One bid makes the subsequent bidding more flexible as you can treat certain sequences as forcing to game (e.g. 1H, 2C; 2NT or 1H, 2C; 2S).

"When I first started learning the game 30 years ago it was acceptable respond in a new suit at the two level with eight points".

Interesting.  Many years back I had a very good (older) partner who had experienced changing trends in the game (e.g. strong NT to weak NT openings) and was able to explain the rationale behind them.  

What about 1 H bid response 3H  is this called a Limit bid = 4H+11/12points?
    Yes it is, though my crib sheet says the limit is 10-12 HCP (2H = 6-9).
    We are using the Losing Trick Count instead. It seems to work well for us when we have agreed a suit. 
    Apply the Rule of 14. Add your HCP to the number of cards in your long suit and if the total comes to at least 14, you can bid at the 2 level.