Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Response to Weak 1NT

edited May 2007 in All Things Bridge
PLEASE ADVISE THE BEST OPTION IN RESPONSE TO 1NT (WEAK) HOLDING S 10,8,6,5,3 H 5 D A,K,J,10,7 C Q,6 WE DO NOT PLAY TRANSFERS.I UNDERSTAND STAYMAN OUGHT TO BE USED ONLY WITH A 4-CARD MAJOR HOLDING. REGARDS CHRIS LEWIS, GUILDFORD

Comments

• edited 12:22PM
    You could make a weak take out on this hand in either diamonds (better suit) or spades (scores more at duplicate) but using Stayman is not such a bad idea. If partner bids 2S go ahead and bid 4S. If partner bids 2D just pass. And if partner bids 2H bid 2S to play.
    I think you have talked yourself into playing transfers. Why not, they're great. JackC
    I agree they are great JackC but would you transfer here (bid 2H)? Spades are a very weak suit. What criteria do to use for a suit into which to transfer? Does it just need to have five cards or does it need to include a few honours?

I would transfer here due to the distribution of the hand and chronic weakness in hearts but move a diamond honour into the heart suit and I would certainly pass.
    I agree with Admin. My partner and I play transfers, but I would certainly Stayman rather than transfers on this hand.

The purpose of bidding is to exchange information about your hands so that a playable contract can be reached. A transfer bid of 2 Hearts commits to a Spade contract, even if partner has only 2.

Stayman is designed to ask a no trump opener if he has a four card major, there is absolutely nothing in the "rules" that says YOU have to have a 4 card major to use Stayman, and I would use it on this hand, simply because it has the flexibility to enable you to play in Diamonds if partner has no 4 card major, a part score in Spades if partner shows Hearts, or a good game contract in Spades if partner shows 4.