Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Opening of 1C with 3 cards

edited March 2009 in Bridge Laws
At a recent game of duplicate, my LHO opened 1C, this was not alerted, but later we were told by the oposition that it is possible to open 1C with only 3 cards and at least opening points (in the case in question there were 15 points).

I have tried to find a ruling on this and there seems to be some contradiction in the rules.

According to the Orange Book......1C shows 3 + cards, which I take to mean a minimum of 4 cards....as shown here:-

5 G 3 Players should not alert:
(a) The calls specified in 5 C and 5 D as announceable.
(b) Calls above 3NT unless specified in 5 E 4 (a) to (c).
(c) Opening bids:
(1) 1♣ or 1♦ showing three plus cards, not forcing, which are considered natural.

But according to the 'Announcing and Alerting Summary'......shown here...http://www.ebu.co.uk/publications/ConventionCards-SystemsInformation/Announcements%20Table.pdf
no action needs to be taken with 3 cards.

DAK which of these is correct.

Ron

Comments

• edited 7:31AM
    The expression "3+" does not mean 4 or more. Why would you think that when they use the number 3 instead of the number 4? The expression "3+" means "3 or more," not "more than 3" asd you believed in the past. Moreover, what would you have bid with

S 5432
    H 543
    D A2
    C AKQ

when no other suit is biddable, and it would be quite a flier to open that hand 1NT with neither major stoped. To open that hand 1NT seems like inflexibility in bidding.

What would YOU have opened?
    On the hand above I would ask for a 13th card before bidding. Assuming it was s mall heart diamond or club I would consider it the most routine 12-14 NT. To eschew 1NT when you have a balanced hand makes your rebid very difficult. If you open 1C with a 4-3-3-3 hand and rebid 1S partner will expect at least 4-4, usually 4-5. If you rebid 1NT partner will normally expect 15-16 or perhaps 15-17.

The Orange Book Section 5G3 on Page 27 makes itr clear that an alert is not required for 1C or 1D showing at least 3 cards.
    "According to the Orange Book......1C shows 3 + cards, which I take to mean a minimum of 4 cards...."

No, "3+" means "3 or more"
  • edited September 2009
    Hey Jeremy, we both open this one 1C

S 5432
    H 5432
    D AK
    C AKQ
    If you play Weak NT and 5 card majors this is the only sensible opening bid. If you play a 15-17 NT and open this 1C becuase, perhaps, you have two suits unguarded you will run into a rebid problem.