Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

1NT opening?

Hello,
I'm a little puzzled about hand 4 of the bidding quiz in the June issue of Bridge Magazine. The following hand opened 1NT
SPADES K J 7 6
HEARTS 4 2
DIAMONDS K 6 5
CLUBS K Q 5 3

With only 12 points and no A 10 9 or 8 is it really an opening hand (even non-vulnerable)?

Phil

Comments

• Phil,

I haven't read this article, but assuming that you have agreed to a 12-14 1NT range, why would you choose not to open a 12-point hand?

Yes, you have pointed out a couple of small negative features - the hand lacks aces and lacks intermediates (10s and 9s) - but there are positive features as well: in particular the supporting honours, going with the length in each of the black suits is a definite positive feature. It is always good to have your high-card points in your long suits and good to have honours working together. Overall, I would assess this as a middle of the road 12-count - not worth either an upgrade or a downgrade.

As a general philosophy, 1NT is a great bid because it communicates good accurate information about your shape and strength to you partner with one bid and can often disrupt the opponents at the same time. I want to bid 1NT as often as possible and would be much more inclined to upgrade a good 11-count into the range than downgrade a 12-count out of the range. It would not have crossed my mind to do anything but bid 1NT - at any vulnerability.