Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Pre-empt

In a club quiz during lock-down, on one hand Opener had S - J 10 8 4 H none - D - A Q 10 8 7 6 3 C - 9 5. We are told not to open a 3 level Pre-empt with a 4 card major on the side. I passed. Another club member sent in a long dialogue stating he opened 1 diamond even though it held only 7 Milton Work points! He went on saying that Marty Bergen said in his book "To open or Not to open when considering the rule of 20"!
I have looked at Bernards Three Level Pre-empts point 1. Strength which states to open the bidding at the 1 level the rule is you need 12HCP or 13 points including length. What would you bid with the above hand?

Comments

• edited May 3

It is not legal in England to agree to open at the one-level with fewer than 8 high-card points. Even if it were legal, I think that opening 1D seriously mis-describes the hand.

It is not ideal to pre-empt in diamonds with a four-card major on the side. But it is not the worst thing in the world if the diamond suit is a good quality and the spade suit is weak. On this hand, the spade suit is moderate and I think that the hand would make a super dummy if partner can bid spades - so I would pass in first or second seat. In third seat, I would open 3D.