Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Openers response after partner has bid then RHO over calls.

I had 15 points and was planning to re-bid 1NT. I opened 1 Diamond, my partner bid 1 Spade then RHO over-called 2 clubs. I did have one stopper in Clubs but felt I could not bid 2NT as this would show 17-18 points. I repeated my Diamonds which made but 5 others were all in 3NT which made 10 & 11. The RHO 2 Club over-call bid was made at other tables when we discussed after the session had ended and those that bid 2NT thought that this still showed 15 to 16 just as it would if my partner had bid 2 clubs and I bid 2NT.

Comments

• Good question, never thought of this!!
    I suppose you are forced to bid at the two level so I guess 2NT only shows 15-16pts.

• If you have a better than minimum hand and are not sure as to the best contract then double of 2C is more flexible. It is normal playing 4 card majors and a Weak NT to play this sort of bid as a strong NT type.

• In Andrew Robson's book "Bridge - What should have happened" he sights on page 59 almost the exact hand, where he states it would be a mistake to bid 2NT as it theoretically shows 17-18 and the hand has only 15. He shows how the deal should be bid which is Dealer 1 Heart, North - Pass, East 1 Spade South 2 Clubs. - Pass. Pass, Pass. Defending 2 clubs is more profitable he states and it goes down by 2. But in my case those who bid 2NT ending up in 3NT made more that 2 Clubs going down by 2. Do we stick to points rules guidelines or become gamblers who loose overall on Pareto's 80/20 rule

• I would want to see the full hand before offering specific advice.

Much would depend upon the meaning of a double in your partnership. Many pairs play the double as a "Support Double" showing three-card support for partner's spades. I think that Support Doubles are extremely useful in a strong no trump context, but much less useful (and not recommended) if playing a weak no trump. If you have agreed support doubles, then a double will not be available unless you have three-card spade support.

A second possible meaning for double would be a take-out double - suggesting a four-card heart suit. Some very strong weak-NT pairs play this method (there was a recent article in the magazine English Bridge advocating this method). If you have agreed to play a double in this sequence as take-out, then a double will not be available unless you have a four-card heart suit.

A third meaning for double is the one suggested by Jeremy - to show a strong no-trump type hand. It is the method that I play (and recommend) - but I don't agree that it is sufficiently "normal" to assume without prior partnership discussion. If the interference is at the one-level you should usually pass with 12-14 unless you have a convenient rebid (a good six-card suit, or a second suit below the rank of your first suit); bid 1NT, as planned with a good stop and double with 15-17 (or more) with an inadequate stop. If the interference is at the two-level (as here) a double will additionally show hands that are too weak to bid 2NT, which show about 17-18 - but you have a very good stop, you might choose to bid 2NT with a good 16.

On your actual hand, the 2D bid was probably unwise as it shows more diamonds (at least six) and might be a weaker hand. If you do not have a double available, then pass is a reasonable alternative - partner has heard your opening bid and will re-open if it is at all sensible.