Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Told that I couldn’t Double....

Hello. Here’s what happened today - I was the dealer with SKQ, Hxxx, DAQXx, CAQJx. I opened 1 C followed by pass, pass, 1D. Then I doubled thinking I was asking my partner to show me her best suit. I was told off and offered various suggestions depending on my points. The advice was that correct bid for a good hand was 1NT and so I bid 1NT which was followed by 3 passes. On a H lead I went down.
So, was my double an acceptable bid within the rules of the game or not? What should my bid have been if any?
Thank you

Comments

• Who "told you off"? Partner is not allowed to say anything, it would be very impertinent if the opponents said anything and the director would be simply wrong if he/she told you off for a bid that is perfectly legal.

What would be the best bid? The possibilities are:
    1) Pass - this is often the correct bid in this auction. Partner can have at most 5 points and will often have fewer. This means that your chances of making game are slim and you are only competing for a part score. It is also important to remember that partner will have a chance to bid before the auction is passed out. Partner should usually make a bid, even with a near Yarborough - this is safe since his/her initial pass has limited their hand. So there is no need to bid to keep the auction alive. You should only choose to bid if you have either (a) a very shapely hand (bid a second suit or rebid a long suit) or (b) you have a lot of extra strength (usually 18+). Passing is a reasonable choice on your actual hand since you have good defence against a diamond contract.
    2) 1H - this tends to show an unbalanced hand and I would expect 5+ clubs, so not ideal.
    3) Double (this is a take-out double) - You have the points to double, but what will you do if partner bids 1S? Will you leave partner in a possible 4-2 misfit? A double would show a similar strength hand, but support (at least three cards) for each of the unbid majors. A 4414 shape would be ideal.
    4) 1NT - this will tend to show 18-19 points and a good stop in their suit in a balanced hand. This would be the best bid on your hand in my opinion - passing is a bit soft on your 18-count.

As it happens bidding 1NT was not successful. I can't comment without seeing all of the hand, but maybe it was unlucky on this occasion. It is also possible that one-off in no trumps is a better result than the opponents making some number of diamonds.

• Thank you for your detailed reply! Very helpful.