Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Quantitative No Trump

BKPBKP
edited 5:09AM in All Things Bridge
We had the sequence 1NT–2D–2H–4NT–5H–6H.

We made the  6H slam and got a joint top for that so it worked very well.

However, I said that, I had suddenly remembered that the 4NT bid in this
sequence is actually Quantitative and that my 5H bid was wrong. I should have
passed or bid 6NT.

No one agreed with me. All I can do is quote Robson.

‘Technically the uncontested auction 1NT -2D (Transfer)–2H-4NT is NOT
ace asking. – but a quantitative slam try’ .

I have no idea why this is the case.

Can anyone explain?.

Bruce.

Comments

• edited 5:09AM
    The auction you gave is the SAME as 1NT - 4NT except that, just before the 4NT bid, the responder let the opener know that the responder had a 5-card heart suit. To ask for aces here, use Gerber.

Gerber is used immediately after an opening bid of 1NT or 2NT or after either of these bids is followed by Stayman or a transfer. In general, after 4NT, the responder either passes with a minimum or bids 6NT (or, if there is a heart fit, 6H) with a maximum. With a middle hand, opener makes a non-jump bid of 4-card minors up the line (no need to check for 4-card majors since responder here did not use Stayman.

Under no circumstances should the reply to a quantitative 4NT be the number of aces. 
    4NT here is not RKCB as the suit has not been agreed. Opener has been forced to bid hearts. He may have only two hearts. If responder is interested in a heart slam opposite two hearts then playing our system he would bid 3H in response to opener's 1NT, showing slam interest with 5+ hearts. He would not want the weaker hand to be declarer. 
    The meaning of 4NT depends on the rest of your system agreements with partner. But in standard Acol, 4NT after a transfer is a quantitative bid. Showing about 19-20 HCP and exactly a five-card heart suit.

If you wish to set trumps, with a six-card or longer hearts and then ask for aces the recommended approach is to respond 3H over the 1NT opening. In Acol, this jump to 3H sets trumps (hearts), shows a six-card heart suit, is unconditionally forcing to game and expresses slam interest. If responder bids 4NT at the next bid it will Blackwood (Roman Key-card Blackwood if you play this).