Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

TRANSFERS AFTER 2NT OPENING

edited June 2008 in All Things Bridge
If my partner opens 2NT I can bid 3D for transfer to Hearts and and 3S for transfer to Spades. However my partner and i can't come up with a reasonable suggestion for a direct 3 Spade response. Any suggestions?

The EBU Convention card template describes this bid as GF ART which means nothing to us!

Comments

• edited 9:47AM
    In some versions of Puppet Stayman, A direct 3S over 2NT shows 5 spades and 4 hearts.

2NT - 3C - Puppet Stayman
    2NT - 3D - Transfer to hearts
    2NT - 3H - Transfer to spades
    2NT - 3S - 5 spades and 4 hearts
    2NT - 3NT - No 3 card major. To play.

I suppose the advantage of using this meaning for 3S is that with 5 spades and 4 hearts you could bid 3H (transfer to spades) and then 4H to get across the shape of your hand, but now you are already past 3NT. Using the 3S bid showing a hand heavy in the majors, with a hand with little support for the majors the 2NT bidder can sign off in 3NT.

There is no problem with showing a hand with 5 hearts and 4 spades,as you can bid 3D (transfer to hearts) and then 3S over the original 2NT bidder's 3H response, keeping the bidding below 3NT.

I assume GF ART means 'game forcing and artificial'
  • edited 9:47AM
    Bill, you must not have read all the responses above your response, because you ignored the REASON for bidding 3NT to show 5 spades and 4 hearts. Why? Consider that if partner holds 2 spades and 3 hearts and 4-4 in the minors, then over your 4H bid, you have given the partner the unenviable choice of playing in a 4-3 heart fit, a 5-2 spade fit, or bidding 4NT and having partner respons to Blackwood.

There ARE complete systems out there, and I even play one. It accommodates all the vagaries of 2NT openers and various minor and major suit holdings. Guess what -- none (except 3NT to show 5 spades and 4 hearts) has ever come up in play in the 4 years I have played such things. Moreover, when the auction goes 2NT-3NT to show 5 spades and 4 hearts, and you hear PASS from partner who has once again forgotten the ageement, you will know why almost no one plays such systems -- one big error is much too costly unless you play this game with a regular expert partner who will also not forget. And my partner has won a national championship, and yet she has forgotten the bid a few times. So . . . just use Jacoby and deal with the rest as best you are able!