Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Two Clubs over One Club

edited June 2008 in Bridge Laws
My opponent was playing the 'phoney club'...strong no trump.
I was sitting next to her and playing Acol.
My opponent's initial bid was 'One Club'. She need not of course have had any clubs at all.
I bid 'Two Clubs' indicating that I had clubs.
My opponent declared that I could not do this as she had already bid clubs.
Who is correct please?

Comments

• edited 9:59AM
    You are free, at your turn, to make any legal bid you want. Just because your opponent has bid 1 Club it does not give her ownership of the suit!

Over a "phoney club" my partner and I use two bids for showing clubs, double - showing a minimum opener with a club suit, and two Clubs showing a stronger more solid club suit and or better than minimum opener.
    What's a 'phoney club'?
    "Phoney Club" is a term used for an opening of 1 Club which does not necessarily show a club suit. It is also known as "prepared club".

It is most frequently used when playing 5 card majors. It would be used with an opening hand, without a 5 card major and with points outside the No Trump range.

e.g. playing a weak no trump holding 2 Clubs, 3 Diamonds and 4-4 in the majors, with a 17 point hand, there is no natural bid to describe the hand, so the "phoney" 1 Club is used with a re-bid in No Trumps.

In the scenario above, playing strong No Trump, it could show a club suit, but it could also show a weak no trump hand (12 -14 points).