Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Acol 4NT: A Failure Leads to a Suggestion

I play Acol 4NT with all my partners and it has served me well on several occasions, but not the last time it arose.

I was sitting in first seat holding (yes, this IS what I held) the top 10 diamonds and 3 singletons. I know the opponents were not vulnerable, because I feared they would enter with a major. I wanted to open 4NT, but there is no response to cover 3 aces, just 0, 1, or 2. So I opened 1D -- and my LHO passed (WOW) and partner bid 2C (WOW) and RHO passed and partner had 3 aces, so 7D was a laydown. Many declarers were down 8 or 9 when they bid a NT slam. Guess who was void in diamonds :)

I suggest that if your partner opens an Acol 4NT, bid at the 7-level with 3 aces. I recommend 7C to allow partner to do whatever he wants to do -- you told him of your 3 aces.

I think that would have solved my problem without having to worry about a sacrifice getting in the way!

Comments

• edited 11:29AM
    Why bid at the seven-level? Bid 6 of the ace you don't have (it is not safe to bid at the 5-level, since partner is likely to have a void somewhere and you end up getting the dummy).
    I am amazed by the comment that the Acol 4NT has served you well on several occasions. I have never held a suitable hand! But that's why I go under the name Tramtickets! ☺

I checked it out, and indeed, 6C to show 3 aces, not including the ace of clubs, works. I should be able to tell (unless I have 2 voids) so 6C works. But so does 7C. At least I have not found a case where it doesn't -- so that seemed easier to remember. But, yes, 6C sure does work.

For sake of interest, I began to play Acol 4NT 16 years ago and have used it 4 times. I began playing in the late 1950, and I have held 2 hands that had 2 voids. So, Tramtickets, it will arise!