Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Jump shifts

edited May 2008 in All Things Bridge
When do you use a jump shift after partner has opened 1H say? Any response in a new suit is forcing for one round and the jump shift takes up a lot of bidding space. On the other hand it could be argued that it describes the power of your hand.

I very very rarely do it but I suppose the one time I might would be with over 16 HCP and a long (6+ cards) and strong suit.

What criteria do others use to jump shift? (This is for uncompetitive auctions. With opposing interference I play fit jumps)

Comments

• edited 10:21PM
    I play WEAK jump shifts for the very reason you said above -- the strong ones never happen (almost never) and this is a game of probability. Why not use the bid the way it could be used with a weak hand? These occur so much more often, and a simple change of suit by responder is usually forcing, so . . . why use a jump shift as forcing when we already have a forcing bid availabel which does not make the auction get so high. I believe in bidding fast and high with bad hands and slowly and low with good hands.