Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Dislosure of discarding system

edited 2:35AM in Bridge Laws
We played in a county competition yesterday and we were asked what our discard method was and we said mckinney. opp then asked what suit my discard of the 4 of hearts asked for and my partner said clubs. My question is that I'm sure I've read that you dont have to interpret your discards only explain the system. I cant see anything in the blue book that specifically addresses this. Can anyone clarify this please

Comments

• edited 2:35AM

All you need to do is tell your opponents your system (and any exceptions etc.). However, it is not sufficient to just give the name of the system - players play and interpret systems differently. A better and fuller description might be:

"We play McKinney discards. A high card in a suit asks for the highest ranking suit and low card asks for the lowest ranking suit (excluding trumps)"

You do not have to have to state whether a particular card is high or low - this is a matter of interpretation given the other cards on view. If partner discards the 4 hearts you may have the 6, 7 and 9 of hearts in your hand and can see the 5 and 8 of hearts in dummy. You know that the 4 of hearts is a high card, but you are not obliged to tell declarer (worse still, if you did you might give your partner unauthorised information!).