Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

transfers after 2NT

edited February 2014 in All Things Bridge
How would South bid with the hand below if North opened 2NT (20 - 22) and
had one of the 2 possible hands below?

South

S: AK532

H: A8

D: J64

C: 876

North hand A

S: Q76

H: 6532

D: AKQ

C: AKQ

North hand B

S: Q7

H: Q532

D: AKQ5

C: AKQ

If no transfers are being used the NS bidding in case A might be 2NT – 3S 
- 4S – 4NT – 5H – 6S – Pass.

In case B it might be 2NT – 3S  - 3NT – 4NT (quantitative) – 6NT –
Pass.

But how would the bidding go if transfers were being used? If the bidding
began 2NT – 3H – 3S – 3NT then in case A North would respond 4S and 6S would be
reached. But if North had hand B then he would pass 3NT and so NS would fail to
reach the 6NT slam.

Is there a transfer bidding approach that would reach a slam whichever hand
North held? 

Comments

• edited 9:55PM
    The best auction is a transfer followed by a quantitative raise. The auction would go like this:

2NT 3H

3S 4NT

As a good guideline, if a transfer followed by 4NT is quantitative, and a transfer followed by 4C is Gerber.
    The problem with this auction is that with hand A North would pass the 4NT
    bid (as he holds a minimum 20 point hand) and so the 6S slam would not be
    reached. (Whereas the slam is easily reached if transfers are NOT used.) 
    There is a lot to be said for taking a practical approach in this kind of problem. Add a point for your nice 5-card spade suit and you have a 13 point balanced hand. I would simply raise 2NT to 6NT. Just occassionally it will fail when 6 spades makes. But you have given the defence no clues for their opening lead.
    Maybe I am answering the wrong question, but the person who asked the question asked how the auction would go WITH a transfer, so those who suggested it was best to not use a transfer are not answering the question. Transfer and then bid 4NT is the way to go (in terms of answering the question, which is truly independent of the hands presented).
    Even if transfers are part of your system, you don't have to use them all of the time.

You have a probem on this hand. You want to tell partner that you have a five-card spade suit in an otherwise balanced hand that is strong enough (or nearly strong enough to bid slam). After transferring to spades it would be nice to bid a NATURAL 4NT. I play this with some partners, but for most it would be ace-asking. One possibility would be to bid 5NT if you have agreed that this is "Pick-a-slam".

I still think that the most practical bid (particularly at pairs is the simple 2NT-6NT. :)
    A transfer followed by 4NT makes 4NT a quantitative bid, not an ace asking bid. And if you want to make the bid really useful when you might continue to slam, a 5-level bid after 4NT is NOT a Blackwood response. It is a 4 card suit, hoping to get to a 4-4 fit minor-suit slam that might be better than a NT slam. There will be people who do not agree with what I just wrote, but responding to a quantitative bid of 4NT with a suit is taken by experts to be an attempt to land in a suit in a close slam, making the slam more likely to succeed (an especially useful thing to do in rubber bridge or IMPS). Of course, a partnership can AGREE to answer Blackwood. Many pairs do just that because their quantitative bids can be low on points and/or your opening bids also follow that practise, then perhaps responding as it the bid were Blackwood might be the best choice. If bids are based on point-count, then there is no point in showing how many aces -- a real suit would be a better use for a suit bid. Whether or not a suit should be bid instead of merely bidding 6NT is a totally separate issue. I surely would feel pained if I responded as if the 4NT were Blackwood and my response was doubled for a lead. OUCH.
    You could bid 2NT 3H 3S 5NT asking partner to pick a slam (in this case 6S or 6NT). The worst that could happen is that you would be in 6NT with a combined 32 count.

The responder is far too good to bid 3NT after transferring. That could lead to 3NT on a combined 34 count.

The normal meaning for 2NT 3H 3S 4C is not Gerber but natural other wise what would you do in response to a 2NT(20-22) hand with

S KJ9xx
    H x
    D Jx
    C KQ743

If you are making a slam it could be 6NT 6S or 6C. You can hardly afford to rule one of those out and bidding 5C on the second round take up too much room.