Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Responding with a three card Minor

edited February 2014 in Bridge Laws
Playing  basic Acol at a local low key club. Partner opened 1 Club. I had 15 odd points, 5 Clubs, 3 Diamonds, 3 Hearts, 2 Spades. I considered responding 3NT but thought I'd be clever and respond 1 Diamond and await a reply. Ended in 6 Clubs making.

After the play one of the opponents politely asked about my 1 Diamond response with only three cards in the suit.

Was  what I did against 'the rules' in any sense ?

Comments

• edited 4:28AM
    I am a novice, so I do not answer with any authority whatever, but I have found the following in the EBU Blue Book:

4 C ‘Natural’ bids and passes
    4 C 1 The following are considered ‘natural’ for the purposes of alerting and regulation of partnership understandings (see also 3E1):
    (a) A bid of a suit which shows that suit (3+ cards) and does not show any other suit; preference bids, completion of transfer bids and raises may be on shorter suits.

I would take that to mean you don't need to announce or alert in this case. 
    I also suspect that your partner would have been just as misled as your opponents. 

Killeavey

Thanks for your comment. From what you say seems like I didn't break any rules. So all OK.
    PS You're less of a novice than you say you are - IMO

John
    The slightly humerous bit of the storey is that I'm sitting there thinking that after my [dodgy?] 1D response to his 1C opening, that he'd make some sort of simple response like a rebid in NT or a suit at a low level. You can guess how I felt when he jumped straight to 5D.
    Yikes. What now?
    I punted 6C which made, but only becuse a defender made a very simple error.

I guess that's Bridge eh?

John
    The Blue Book describes legal agreements. If you always bid 1D on a 2-3-3-5 good hand over a club then 
    a. it is legal
    b. your opponents have a right to know this 

If you did it on a single occasion because you couldn't think of a better bid then that is fine and if your partner did not expect it any more than the opponents that is also fine.