Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

slam sequences

edited December 2013 in All Things Bridge
In the EW sequence

1H (East) – 1S – 3D – 3H – 3S – 4NT – 5S – 6S – Pass

Is the usual meaning of the 3S spade a cue bid or showing 3 card support for spades? 

Comments

• edited 11:38PM

1H     1S

3D (1) 3H (2)

3S (3) 4NT (4)

5S (5) 6S (6)

(1) Usually played as game forcing - at least 5 hearts and four diamonds.

(2) Sets hearts as trumps. Because we are in a game forcing situation this bid would be stronger than 4H (the Principle of Fast Arrival) - i.e. it suggests some slam interest.

(3) Since hearts have been agreed as trumps and partner has shown some slam interest this must be a cue-bid.

(4) If you play Roman Key Card Blackwood then hearts are the agreed suit!

(5) Key cards + the Q of hearts (playing RKCB).

(6) Oops!

• edited 11:38PM

I should have given the hands (East to open):

West

S: AK8762

H: J73

D: 7

C: AJ 10

East

S: QJ9

H: AQ542

D: AKQ 10

C: 2

I wanted East's 3S bid to show 3 card support for spades and so to be able to arrive at the 6S slam. If the 3S bid showed 3 spades then West knows East's hand shape (3 spades plus at least 5 hearts and 4 diamonds and so at most 1 club) and so West knows it will be possible to ruff club losers. Can you suggest how it would be possible to arrive at 6S (a far safer slam than 6H)?

• edited December 2013
    I am a beginner and this is my first posting, so apologies if I have got this wrong, but I think the problem may lie with West not rebidding a very good 6 card Spade suit instead of supporting Hearts. With strong 3 card Spade support East could then go straight to Roman Key Card Blackwood, implicititly accepting Spades as the trump suit as it is the last suit mentioned before bidding 4NT.