Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Having None?

edited May 2007 in Bridge Laws
When a defender asks partner "having none" I understand that the revoke is now corrected. What is the penalty if that now wins the trick. Also what happens if it does not win the trick. Also i assume that there is mow a penalty card. Also what if partner has not revoked

Comments

• edited 12:23PM
    Defender should not make this statement to partner and declarer could call the Director and ask for a ruling as the statement by the defender could constitute 'unlawful information' ! but then that's bridge.
    That's why I asked the questions.As a non qualified director how should I rule?
    Law 61B of the 1997 Laws of Duplicate Bridge precludes the defenders asking each other about revokes, "unless the Zonal organisation so authorises." Law 63B says that the revoke becomes established when 61B has been violated but even so "the revoker must substitute a legal card and the penalty provisions of Law 64 apply, as if the revoke had been established." Law 64 is concerned with whether the revoke incurs a 1-trick or a 2-trick penalty. Law 63B does not explicitly say so but the card wrongly exposed by the revoker should be a major penalty card and the Laws for the disposition of Penalty Cards - Law 50 passim - apply. Law 50 is much more complicated than the old law that said penalty cards should be played at the first legal opportunity and in particular both offender and offender's partner may be subject to restriction including lead penalties until the penalty card has been played. Study of Law 50 is recommended. In America the ACBL exercised its right not to apply Law 61B and so it continued to be legal in America for defenders to ask each other, long after the introduction of the restriction in Europe. You would need to check if this is still the case today. In rubber bridge it is legal and common and you should actively ask whenever partner fails to follow suit. This is quite hard for duplicate players to do and there is always some bossy duplicate player who objects. But that's duplicate players for you.
    What a great response this last one was - especially the bit about bossy duplicate players. As the previous respondent says you should be active in asking partner about failure to follow suit in rubber bridge. In duplicate it remains legal of course for dummy to ask declarer.