Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Two level response in a new suit:

edited January 2013 in Anything Else
Two level response in a new suit:

The book says - "the response of 2H over 1S always promises five hearts".

1. My partner opens 1S; I have 10 points, 3 clubs, 3 diamonds, 4 hearts and 3 spades - what is the correct response and why?

2. My partner opens 1S; I have 12 points, 3 clubs, 3 diamonds, 4 hearts and 3 spades - what is the correct response and why?

Comments

• edited 8:40PM
    Before answering the question you should reflect on what partner has shown by the 1S bid. Assuming you play a 12-14NT partner cannot have a 1NT hand. So partner will either have a balanced hand 15-19hcp or will have 5 spades. You need to find out which in order to proceed correctly. [NB No 4-4-4-1 hand should ever be opened 1S so partner can't have that shape].

So with up 9hcp you will respond 1NT with your 3-4-3-3 shape. With 10+hcp you should bid 2C to elicit partner's rebid. I know it's a 3-card suit but you have no intention of playing in clubs even if partner supports. When partner rebids 2NT you raise to 3NT; when pd rebids say 2D you bid 3S and even if partner goes 3C you will know that partner has 5 spades and 4 clubs so you will bid 3S.

If you haven't previously passed you should try and avoid any jump response in NTs (to 2NT or 3NT) as these simply block partner's intended rebid. If you are a passed hand then 2C would be non-forcing so a 2NT response would be acceptable with a good 10 or 11 hcp.