Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Rules - when is a card deemed to have been played?

edited May 2012 in All Things Bridge
I put my finger on a card and move it towards me and then immediately push it back into it's origical place and remove my finger before the opposition play a card - has that card been 'played'?

Comments

• edited 11:38PM
    Clarification:
    I was dummy and my partner was playing the hand i.e. we were not defending.

Possible answer:
    Rule 45D. Card Misplayed by Dummy
    If dummy places in the played position a card that declarer did not name, the card must be withdrawn if attention is drawn to it before each side has played to the next trick, and a defender may withdraw and return to his hand a card played after the error but before attention was drawn to it; if declarer’s RHO changes his play, declarer may withdraw a card he had subsequently played to that trick. (See Law 16D.)
  • RMBRMB
    edited 11:38PM
    If you were dummy, had declarer called for a card?

If declarer had called for a card then that card is played, if dummy puts the card back in dummy it must nevertheless be played.  If dummy puts a different card "in the played position" then that must be corrected (and Law 45D may apply).

If declarer has not called for a card (or otherwise indicated which card should be played) then dummy moving dummy's cards about does not make a card played.  It may constitute a suggestion to declarer (and there is a law for that).