Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

What is a fair number of boards to play?

edited November 2011 in All Things Bridge
I agree with the readers articlec DONE DEAL in Dec2011 Mr Bridge. Our Club is a community organisation built up over 5 years to now 90 members. We start at 6.45pm - have a refreshment break of max 10 mins and a committee ruling on behalf of members is that we should finish by 10pm. We are not a highly competitve club and many play for mainly social reasons. However one qualified director insists that we play at least 27 boards now we are getting 10 or 11 tables and puts great pressure on slower players timing many out and causing discontent - does it really matter if we only play 24 boards - we are not EBU affiliated - do not issue master points, we just want a happy bridge club?

Comments

• RMBRMB
    edited 12:24PM
    I do not think the qualified director (speaking as one myself) should "insist". If the committee have determined start and finish times then the committee should also determine (or behalf of members) how many boards should be played in that time. It is entirely reasonable to (only) play 24 boards in 3 hours playing time.
  • edited 12:24PM
    It doesn't matter if you only play 10 boards, or if you want to play 50. As a members' club, the members should decide how many boards you want to play in the evening. The TD is there to serve the members.

The only undesirable outcome is people who aren't enjoying themselves.

If you have a number of people who want to play more/faster and some who don't like being hassled then either you have to do things differently on different evenings (e.g. have a 'serious' evening one night and a 'social' evening the other), or the majority win and the others play elsewhere.
    27 boards is quite a lot. 24 would seem more suitable given the time available. It maybe that with 10 or 11 tables he puts out 30 0r 33 boards and wants you to play as higher % of them as you can. There are movements to avoid this if he learns them. In the end whether it is an EBU club or not the most important thing is that the players are comfortable and enjoy themselves.
    Eleven tables is not too bad. 22 boards give you an early night occasionally.
    The awkward one is ten tables as 20 boards is too few and 30 is far too many for a three hour session. One suggestion your TD could try is a Bowman movement which , with a fair amount of sharing, allows you to play 24 boards with 10 tables.

JackC
    Too much bridge is just as bad as too little. If players play at a normal pace and enjoy each other's company 24 boards is fine. 27 rushed boards leaves no time for social interaction or maybe even a cup of tea or a 'pit stop'.
    We have 4 hours available in the room used, and usually have 4 to 6 tables, often with a half-table. I am trying to work on 8 minutes per board, thus a 5-board round is 40 minutes times 5 rounds for 25 boards = 3 hours 20 mins with a relaxed break of just over half an hour; 9 rounds of 3 (27 boards) to give again a 30-ish minute break, and 7 rounds of 4 (28) either needs a bit of urging back after 20 minutes, or a target of less than the 8 minutes. I now have a large bell, and if we are getting behind the clock urge the slow table on by asking folk to move when they can. It would be easier to manage if we had enough tables for a Mitchell movement, as there is less "milling around" for players and boards.