Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Quantative 4N vs Blackwood

edited March 2011 in All Things Bridge
On the bridgehands.com site there has been a discussion on this topic. One sequence that was described as quantative was 1N-2C-2H-4N.
I think that this is a blackwood sequence agreeing hearts.
What do other people think?

Comments

• edited 5:38AM
    I believe that the modern approach is:
    - With a quantative raise bid 4NT even if this includes a 4-card major. If partner wishes to accept the invitation then partner can bid a 4-card suit at the 5 level to suggest this suit or bid a 5-card suit at the 6 level, again to offer an alternative slam.
    - 4NT after Stayman can then be (Roman Key Card) Blackwood.
    You should discuss with your regular partner though!
    I think it is a sequence quite open to misinterpretation. I play it as RKCB for hearts however you could play 1NT 2C 2H 4S as RKCB for hearts and use 4NT as Quantitative(but then you would have to decided how to progress if the auction starts 1NT 2C 2S). You may also have some sort of Baron sequence to allow for strong hands where you want to investigate a fit. For example some players use 2D/2H as transfers but 2S as either a raise to 2NT or a Baron Hand. For all of the above they need some discussion and are not for casual partnerships at the club on Thursday evening.
    My bridge partners and I play that, after an opening bid of 1NT and a Stayman or a Jacoby transfer auction, a jump to 4NT is quantitative, while a jump to 4C is (RKC) Gerber. One of my tournament partners likes to say that "If 4NT is quantitative, then 4C is Gerber." This principle works well for us.

(We also play that a new suit after Texas is Exclusion Blackwood.)