Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

A weak 1 NT opening with 16 points?

edited February 2011 in Bridge Laws
Reading David Stevenson's answer to a question in BRIDGE magazine Number one Hundred and Five Dated February 2011 regarding opening a weak 1NT with more than 12 to 14 points i.e. 12 to a poor 15 points. My question is if agreed with my partner can this extend to 12 to a poor 16 points with the following hand; QJ3 Spades KQ Hearts A532 Diamonds and A643 Clubs and use this convention customarily?

Comments

• edited 9:37PM
    This hand is way too strong. It's true you don't have a lot of intermediates and the honours don't combine well, but your partner may have fitting honours/intermediates. Also, 12 to a poor 16 points is a pretty wide range, and you are likely to find yourself missing games and/or getting too high when partner has to allow for the top of the range.

In general, it pays to be more willing to upgrade than to downgrade.
    Thank you Daisy, your comment is appreciated and helpful and confirms my suspicions that on balance there is more to be lost than gained! Would it be a better balance on a 12 to a poor 15 point weak NT agreement with partner as per the view of David Stevenson whose views I rate as the best available?
    This is more manageable. It is quite common for people to extend their range by 1/2 point. Some will add good 11-counts to their 12-14 NT (this is the approach I prefer), and some will add poor 15-counts. Others will not extend their stated range but will downgrade and/or upgrade VERY rarely. Many people regularly upgrade 14-point hands, generally when they contain a 5-card suit.

A slightly variable approach is an option; if you wanted to keep your 1NT range more compact, you could play, say, good12-poor15 Vul and 12-14 NV.

The important thing is that if you are going to upgrade or downgrade on a regular basis, you and partner must be in agreement as to which hands are suitable for this treatment. And of course, proper disclosure must be made.
    Thanks again Daisy, you have been very helpful!
    I am all for a good 11 as you are not going to miss anything, but a poor 15 I am not so happy about as you might miss something if partner's bits and pieces fit with yours. You also stand to be criticized by the opposition if partner has announced a 12 - 14 No trump. I do agree with a previous comment to the effect that the wider the no trump range the harder it is to handle.

JackC
    I prefer to open any reasonable 5c suit [3 of akqj10]with 15 pts but with 4432 or any combination of and no solid major would open 1nt.With 16 def best suit.A good 11 is always worth a punt
    I open 1NT with 15hcp when my re-bid options are unattractive and I would not be upset with myself doing the same with 16hcp's for the same reason. The question that follows is, if this is an agreed strategy with partner does it need to be declared i.e. 12-14 may contain a singleton or may be 15 or 16 is no attarctive re-bid? Or is that just taking the whole alert / calling thing to the rediculous?
    regardless of systems considerations, isn't you partner likely to be indifficulties with his responses if your 1NT can be 12 to 16 with an odd singleton floating about?

What's wrong with pening your 4 card suit and rebidding NT at the appropriate level.
    It can be quite difficult to repond to a wide rsanging 1NT opening.

JackC
    "if this is an agreed strategy with partner does it need to be declared i.e. 12-14 may contain a singleton or may be 15 or 16 is no attractive re-bid?"

Obviously this needs to be disclosed. As above, I am curious about "no attractive rebid" as the standard rebid holding a strong NT hand is 1NT.