Mr Bridge
card fan

mrbridge.co.uk

for BRIDGE Magazine, holidays and much more

Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below.

Action over a double

edited December 2010 in All Things Bridge
I was told today that 1C-dbl-1S shows a 5 card suit. Is this correct? I was always told that a change of suit was the same as if the double had not been made.

Comments

• RMBRMB
    edited 7:47AM
    In traditional methods 1C-P-1S will be a 5 card suit 75% of the time. When there is a double, you can pass or redouble on some balanced hands; so it is possible to agree that 1C-X-1S shows a 5 card suit. But you have to agree what a hands with only 4 spades will respond.
  • edited 7:47AM
    I would bid 1S whenever I have 4333 or 4x4x or 4xx4 or a 5+ card suit.
    I would think it was at least 50% of the time that I would have a four card suit
  • edited 7:47AM
    As played in tournament play, the auction 1C - X - 1D/H/S/NT promises, in both length and strength, the same hand as 1C - P - 1D/H/S/NT. Granted in some vulnerability situations, a penalty double might be pursued, starting with a redouble, but these days, redoubles are made with far less frequency than had been the case in the heyday of bridge. Therefore, 1S in the auction you gave promises 4 (or more) spades, not 5. It also tends to deny 4 hearts. The only auction where the responder's bid does promise 1S involves negative doubles:

If you play negative doubles and partner opens 1C/D and 2nd seat bids 1H, then a negative double shows 4 spades and a bid of 1S shows 5. Perhaps this is the situation and you advisor was confused.

One of the other people said that 1S shows 5 cards 75% of the time. In modern style, many people will skip over a minor to bid a major, unless their hand is strong enough for 2 bids. Bidding up the line, if one skips every suit to bid 1S, then it sure is more likely to be a 5-card suit. But (as in the modern style), if you tend to skip over a minor to try to bid a major when your hand is not strong, then the length of the spade suit is much more often 4 than if you bid up the line. Here is a surprise statistic. I read in the Encyclopedia of Bridge that 65% of all bridge hands have a suit of length 5 or longer. That one surprises most people.

Finally, here's why I rarely redouble these days. Fifty years ago, I redoubled with 10 points. These days, I don't remember when I last made a redouble at the 1-level. Redoubling to show 10 points can be the kiss of death to your side in an auction. Unless you fully intend to double for penalties, a redouble removes your side from the bidding for 1 round, lets the opponents bid without much cost for 1 round, and then, worst of all, when your side returns to the auction, it is at a higher level. Your own redouble has robbed you of a round of bidding and rewarded the opponents with that round of bidding. Such a redouble serves no purpose. It's better to make a normal bid 1-level bid and ignore the double. When partner opens a major, it's useful to have special support responses over takeout doubles. When partner opens a minor, your side may not be able to afford the luxury of losing 1 round of the auction Unless I know what I plan to do over each of their possible bids, I don't redouble. Over a takeout double, I play that a new suit at the 1-level is forcing, but a new suit at the 2-level is sound, but not forcing.