Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Use of stop card

Do I need my stop card when bidding 2NT on the 2nd round to show 17 to 18 points, having opened 1 heart as we play the weak no trump opening (12 to 14 points) My partner had responded 1 spade and the opposition did not bid..?

Comments

• Yes. You play the stop card whenever you make a jump bid of any description.
  • edited February 6
    Great like best infrared heater!
  • The Stop card is no longer in use. In different parts of the world, its use was discontinued at different times. Clubs can make their own rules about such things, so it is best to ask if stop cards are still in use at the club at which you play. In the USA, the stop card was discontinued starting this year.
  • The stop card is very much in use in England. It is mandatory in EBU sanctioned competitions and in near universal use at English clubs.
  • Thanks for that information. I know that the World Bridge Federation, which runs all the international events, was the first to discontinue the use of the stop card. Its use in England will likely follow the WBF discontuance in the future. I wonder what the EBU said about it recently. Does anyone know?
  • When you say the WBF has discontinued use I wonder to what tournaments you refer? I don't know of any WBF tournaments that are not held behind screens where, of course, stop cards are irrelevant.

In ACBL land I believe they have been unsuccessful in persuading many players to deal with the stop card properly or at all over many years and, in part, the change in January is recognition of that failure. It's clubs are free to do what they wish but the culture is such that most, I suspect will follow the ACBL lead.
    In England there is a greater majority who follow the process. The EBU has no current intention of changing or abolishing the procedure so don't know where the information about following suit came from. 

Clubs are, as said, free to decide but most will likely continue on the present path.

Not completely clear what the problem is other than some players can't be bothered either to play the stop card or acknowledge it.

Its a cardinal rule at bridge that the decision you make should come from authorised information. The stop card is to give warning that a jump bid is about to come. It's clear that (3H) Instant pass conveys a different message from (3H) long pause pass. Of course players can pause appropriately whether there is a stop card or not but the existence of the card may help and doesn't seem to hinder in any way.
  • When I played in the world championships in Philadelphia, there were no screens for us. Of course, this was not the Bermuda Bowl -- but the screens appear when the teams are representing their nations, not when you walk in with your team, plunk down your money, and play. These world championships feature excellent teams, but they were selected by themselves, not by any regional or zonal competitions, so no screens are used -- at least I saw none in Philadelphia (about 10 years ago).

Of course, that has nothing to do with stop cards and their use or misuse or disuse or anything :)
  • Interesting because WC elsewhere e.g. a Trans National in Veldhoven with 140+ Teams had screens nas have all since the event started in 1997. All EBL events do. 
    I wonder if it was the size or because it was in the US where even a multi makes then come out in a cold sweat and a stop card a blind panic.
  • All team trials to represent the United States employ screens, and have done so for years. Screens began after the Italians won many Bermuda Bowls. After the screens, they never won again. That too is interesting :)