Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

POT BOILER HAND

How is this contract made

Comments

• Is it possible to make this contract please?
  • Yes of course 7 hearts are possible.
  • Surely a spade lead, attacking the entries for the triple squeeze, defeats seven hearts?
  • Still can't work it out. Is the solution anywhere on this site?
  • I assume the diamond holding is just a temptation. The problem seems to come down to how to return to south without running short on trumps. The only entry to North is the final high trump. Now I am stuck
  • brian

The problem is the blockage in the diamond suit but try ruffing a spade at trick 3. This should lead you to the solution.
  • Tramtickets, With a spade lead one can discard the Ace and King of diamonds on the two spade tricks, draw trumps and then enjoy the rest of the diamonds.
  • Should have added ruff the third spade at trick three
  • I must offer a sincere apology. When I first came across this thread in November, I hadn't seen the hand. I thought that something must be missing from the opening post and people were adding jokey comments. So I added my own (not very funny) comment. I have now seen the hand in Mr Bridge's "My Shop Window". oops!

In case you have also not seen the hand, it is:

AQ7
    AKQJ
    QJ10987
    Void

Void
    AK
    A98765

The contract is 7H by South and the lead is king of clubs.

Yes, I have worked out the solution. It is one of those problems that is not too hard if you've seen this type of problem before, but maddening if the first time you come across one of these problems. It's rather artificial, but also rather clever and I like it! ☺
  • Thank  you for all the comments but can you tell us how to play the hand successfully?
  • Beautiful dummy reversal. Why is it artificial?
  • OK, for those who wish to see the 100% solution, independent of the distribution of the opponents' cards, read on. For those who do not wish to see the solution, do not read on until you are ready to read the solution.

Win the lead in hand (throwing a diamond from dummy) and play a trump to dummy. Ruff a spade in hand and lead a second trump to dummy. Ruff a second spade in hand and then lead your last spade to dummy, overtaking. Now cash dummy's fourth spade, shedding a high diamond honor and play the spade ace, shedding South's remaining spade honor -- and dummy is high.

• Is this a wind up?
  • I said "spade" several times I meant to say "heart." It's easy to spot because I cannot lead a spade from my hand when I have a spade void. Whenever I do suggest doing that, I meant to say "heart."
  • CORRECTION

OK, for those who wish to see the 100% solution, independent of the distribution of the opponents' cards, read on. For those who do not wish to see the solution, do not read on until you are ready to read the solution.

Win the lead in hand (throwing a diamond from dummy) and play a trump to dummy. Ruff a spade in hand and lead a second trump to dummy. Ruff a second spade in hand and then lead your last trump to dummy, overtaking. Now cash dummy's fourth trump, shedding a high diamond honor and play the spade ace, shedding South's remaining diamond honor -- and dummy is high.