Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Prempt Bidding over 1NT

Opposition opened 1Diamond Partner 1NT my response with seven clubs Ace-10 plus two others to partner 3clubs can I do this discussion followed I should have bid 4clubs ?

Many thanks

Mavis Watkinson

P.S Returning to Bridge after seventeen years

Comments

• (1D), 1NT, (Pass), ?

It is usual to play "System On" after a 1NT overcall. This means that you play the same systems (Stayman, transfers) over a 1NT overcall as over a 1NT opening bid.

For most players, the sequence 1NT, 3C is a strong action and it would follow that (1D), 1NT, (Pass), 3C should also be a strong action. Differenent partnerships have different methods for showing a weak hand with clubs over a 1NT opening. in old fashioned Acol it was normal to use 2C Stayman followed by 3C over the response as a sign-off with a weak hand in clubs. [Others use 2S as a transfer to clubs, or 2S as a transfer to either minor, or 2NT as a transfer to either minor, unfortunately there is little agreement among Acol players on which method to use!].

If using this Stayman method the bidding might proceed (1D), 1NT, (Pass), 2C; (Pass), 2D/H/S, (Pass), 3C.

This is a tricky hand if you are returning to bridge after 17 years! Good luck. :)

• But this question does not belong in a section about Bridge Laws. According to the Laws you can have any agreement you want.