Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Revoke - right to enquire

edited April 2014 in Bridge Laws
Revoke (Law 60) Right to enquire (the right to ask a player is he has no ***): Declarer may ask Defender, Dummy may ask Declarer, Dummy may NOT ask Defender, Defender may ask Declarer and his partner.

Note: This law does not specifically say that Dummy is precluded from accusing the opposition of revoking at the end of play and before then end of the round. So, the question is - can Dummy accuse the opposition of revoking at the end of play and before then end of the round.

Comments

• Law 42:    Dummy may draw attention to any irregularity, but only after play
    of the hand is concluded.
  • and . . . . I would argue that the hand is still in play up and until the commencement of play of the next hand
  • The end of the hand occurs the moment the final card is played. Why would you think otherwise?
  • Law 64
    B. No Rectification
    There is no rectification as in A following an established revoke:

5. if attention was first drawn to the revoke after the round has ended.

The question follows - when has the round ended?

Law 64 B 4. states . . .(there can be no rectification) if attention was first drawn to the revoke after a member of the nonoffending side has made a call on the subsequent deal.

I would argue that if the nonoffending side CAN draw attention to a revoke at any time up until a call is made on a subsequent deal then the previous round has not ended until that stage other wise 5 and 4 would contradict each other.
  • The end of the hand is not the same as the end of the round. The round ends when the scores for all hands played have been entered and read and accepted by the opponents.
  • The round ends when the scores for all hands played have been entered and read and accepted by the opponents. . . . .

I can live with that, what I couldn't live with was a situation whereby Dummy had seen a revoke and was unable to report it for penalty at any time.