Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tabling hand and claiming all remaiming tricks

edited January 2014 in Bridge Laws
if my opponent tables his hand and claims all remaining tricks, can I ask him to play his cards in the order I would like if I believe that he may be wrong?

Comments

• My understanding is that you ask the opponent to describe step by step how the hand will be played, and if the claim is shown to be incorrect then the play must stop and the director is called to rule on how many tricks would reasonably have been made. 

I have found this by googling:

When a player claims some or all of the remaining tricks he or she should be 100% sure of exactly the course of the remaining action. The claimer should also state their line of play that backs up his or her claim. The line of play that should be stated tells the other players the intention of why the claim was made and the course of action that would have occurred if the hand had been played out.

Issues arise in claiming tricks when a bad claim is made. A bad claim is one in which the course of action may not have occurred based on the defenders cards which would have altered the number of tricks won by each pair.

Play stops after a claim because a blocked claim would give an unfair advantage to the claimer in that he or she now knows more information based on the fact that his or her opponents may have a play that could take an additional trick(s).

It is generally best to play out the hand further unless you are positive your claim will be valid. An invalid claim in Duplicate Bridge will involve the director having to be called over to study the situation and determine the number of tricks that would likely to have been won by the claimer. The director will take into account any reasonable plays by the opponents that may have stopped tricks from being taken by the claimer.

• When a claim is made play ceases(Law 68D). Any play after a claim is disregarded. You can neither say "play on" or demand he plays his cards in a particular order.

If you disagree with the claim the director is called and he asks declarer to repeat and if necessary to clarify his claim.  (Law 70B)

He should have made a statement at the time e.g. Drawing two rounds of trumps and then dummy is high.(Law 68C)
    If his statement is deficient i.e. he hasn't drawn all the trumps or needs a finesse to make it then generally he won't be allowed to make his contract. 

Law 70D says what the director should take into account when deciding on a contested claim. It can be complicated so it is best by far to let the official use his law book and judgement to sort it out.